Saturday, November 03, 2007

Sandstone and shadow in Birmingham

We were up on top of a tall tower with a seating area
below. Sharp shadows show how strong the sun was.


Last Tuesday I went with my friends to Birmingham, Alabama. I had never been there before. The weather was mighty fine.

Nice patterns in sandstone walkways

I figured that the Alabama Birmingham had been named after the city of Birmingham in England, but I didn't know that the Alabama city was so named because it was also a major coal-mining center. Birmingham AL was founded in the mid-1800s and grew quickly. It also has significant iron-ore deposits, so it became a steel-making center. And it has significant sandstone deposits as well.

Steps

The sandstone I saw was used as paving stones, but there are also houses built out of it all around the region. I think there must be a lot of iron ore in the stone to make it that orange color.

No comments: